Zero = Infinity    *****    If you can enjoy sadness, then nothing can stop you from being happy always    *****    Love is the flow of positive energy from one soul to another   *****    An atheist can realise God more easily than the staunchest theist
February 28, 2005

Bumps on doors

I have been seeing this for the past 4 years. But only today I stopped to think about it. I am talking about the habit of appers[1] sticking their bump[2] letters on their door. I wondered why would a person do that? Why would anyone publicly announce one's sorrow? Instead thay could take a copy of their admits and stick it up. To me, it appeared that this made more sense. Sharing your joy with others. Moreover, if it is one of the top univs, this is a way of showing off, which we al like to do to some extent or the other. But here I saw a very funny behaviour.

I found Arun later in the morning, sitting outside my room. He has got in Stan and Princeton. So I thought I would get some GYAN from him about this, and I did get a lot of it. "People advertise their bumps because they do not want others to ask them about those univs. It is a way to avoid being reminded of something painful. They don't paste copies of their admits because they want people to ask them about it, just giving them a chance to talk about something pleasant."

Made a lot of sense.

1. Apper(n) - one who applies to a foreign university for higher studies.
2. Bump(n) - rejection.

5 Comments:

Blogger Naveen said...

i think its a vague idea..

posting the bump on the door.. will only make others realise that he is not fit for the univ..
they will ask him .. who all got aids to the univ .. thus putting him in more despair..

its a old tradition followed in iit.. which shld b stopped..

21:56  
Blogger Agnibarathi said...

At last, found your link. I have started a new BLOG check it out.

21:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tradition, my dear Watson

20:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aah, I c it is app season for u guys! Good luck pal. - suku

17:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I don't like dark brown
2. When I see others' bump letters, I tend to feel not-so-depressed about my own bumps. (Shady thought, but hey, I ain't perfect)
3. Why the hell would I want to advertise to the world that they deserve to get treats from me?!

13:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Best viewed in Mozilla Firefox with a 1024 X 768 resolution or higher

Get Firefox